Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Pouring on the guilt

It seems that ever since our little superman has turned four he is talking nonstop. Don't get me wrong, he talked a lot before his fourth birthday but recently it seems he does not quit! And not only are a plethora of words flowing from his mouth, but every comment starts with a 'Mommy?' (which of course then needs my recognition) and ends with a question.

Now I am sure that many of you have already faced this, but I am finding that the questions are not always easy questions. These questions not only need a complex answer but also need to be deciphered before getting answered!


For example, on our drive to school today: 'Mommy, you put water in that thingy, turn it and take it out, right?' What!? After much conversation, I determine that he is talking about a cement mixer...which my knowledge on cement mixing is extremely limited. I have learned three methods of dealing with the question:
(A) Claim I don't know, and tell little superman that he will have to ask Vim
(B) Give him the half truth or what I do know...'They put some rocks and water in it and mix it up then pour it out and it makes concrete when it dries'...which usually leads to another question
(C) Diversion or Try to change the subject....which hardly ever works

Well, last night after a gazillion, 'Mommy?', 'Yes, love?', 'Why is there black in the road?' -- type of questions, I was feeling a bit tired and starting to hit my 'question limit'. After about 3 more questions, he followed it with another 'Mommy?'...of course being the patient, calm mother, I answered him with a short, firm, 'WHAT, SON?' He looked at me and said affectionately, 'I love you Mommy, your the best mommy I have ever had.'

Talk about pouring on the guilt! Of course all I could do was grab him, smother him in hugs and kisses and tell him how much I love him.

These are the moments that are so rewarding as a mother. Maybe next time I will be a little more patient.

2 comments:

LJKDF said...

Cute story ... If William asks "Mommy, how do you clean soap?" then you know you have a philosopher on your hands :)

Kirk Head said...

I found the best way to curtail the questions on friday on our way to the river. Stop at the Randall's by your house and right in the front there is a big shelf with all kinds of cool cars. Pick one not two out and buy it for him and give him the change that makes him happy. Next put in a good cd or good radio station with no commercials and a CD that you can listen to every song. He likes load music. So crank it up give him the car and drive. A little hint. my system is a little loud for a 4 yr old so keep it a little mellow or else you have to hear about his ears ringing. So if he has hearing loss one day you can thank our trip to the river friday.