Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Am I smarter than a 5th grader??

Apparently not since I can't seem to figure out when to use 'there' or 'their' in a sentence. It has become so bad that I will go out of my way to re-phrase a sentence when typing just so it doesn't use the word 'there/their'. No matter how hard I try, I just don't get it. I have googled it and read articles such as this. Of course it makes perfect sense when you say 'Not here, but there'. But what about the sentence: 'Is there/their a problem with the computer?'

My husband constantly is correcting me, and I realize that he is only trying to help me so I don't look stupid out in the real world. But it does get annoying. I need some sort of 'memory game' to help me remember what rules to follow. I have mastered spelling Dessert vs Desert...I can still picture my spelling book back in elementary....there (or their) was an 'S' in the middle of the desert and the caption read 'the desert could only grow one s'. Corny as it may be, it worked!

Or how to distinguish between 'Quiet' and 'Quite'....Quiet has -et on the end of it, and E.T. pointed his long finger like someone would do and put it up to their lips and say 'Shhhh'...I know its a little far fetched but once again it works.

This is why I stick to math. 2+2 = 4...it always equals 4, and forever will equal 4. There (or their) are no rules saying if you do the addition before multiplying it by 3 it equals 1...nope, no such rules in math. So until I figure out this tricky little discrepancy between 'there and their' you will just have to forgive my slip ups. I don't know how I missed learning this in grade school but i did.

1 comment:

the bakks said...

haha...I always remember it like this: I would always want more dessert than desert, so naturally there are double S in it. Seconds of dessert, yes please. Desert? No so much.

And I was an english major. Sad.