Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

First Day of Kindergarten


Well, the day finally came when my baby headed off to Kindergarten. I remember making my post this time last year, speculating on how 'This Day...' would be for me. And just about all I said was true. Minus the fact that I didn't get to hold his hand since he insisted on riding his bike. I told him that I would try not to cry in front of him, and I kept my promise. The moments that I had to hold back the strongest were when I asked him to hug me good bye outside the door of the school...he kissed me, hugged me and then kissed and rubbed my belly to tell the baby good bye...oh how hard it was not to let the tears start flowing. He was so grown up, not a fear in the world, he needed no direction on where to go or what to do. He walked in to the school very confidently, found his seat, and sat down like a pro. I kept the good bye very short, I don't even think I went in the class room, just poked my head in, waved and left. I didn't want to be one of those parents who were swarming the class, intruding on the teacher's territory...God Bless those teachers...they sure put up with a lot from us parents. Vim snapped a couple of shots of him walking in, I was trying my hardest to hold it together and couldn't man the camera.
My good friend Jill was so very awesome. Knowing it would be a sad day for me, she took me out to lunch so I didn't have to sit at home in a funk. She also gave me a little book, that I think every mother should own....called "Let Me Hold You Longer"....its a great book that every mom should own. Last night, I made us all sit down at bed time and read it. I grabbed my tissue, and had Vim read it out loud to us. During the story, William said 'Mommy, you can still hold me.' which just caused more tears.
So, you might be wondering how his day went and what he thought about kindergarten?? I picked William up at the bike racks, his first words were 'I LOVED IT!!' He said he saw a few of his friends from Pre-K and that it was better than his old school. And to top it off, when we got back to the house, we sat on the couch for a good 10 mins, and I got to hold him while he told me all about his day...



3 comments:

Crystal Salinas-Valdez said...

Ahhh...I just realized that he is no longer a little boy..he is all grown up now. He looks so proud and excited on his first day and what a sweetheart holding the door open like a gentleman. From another mother...they will always be our babies no matter how big and old they get. I hope he has a great year in Kinder...send my love!

the fishers said...

Now you're making me cry!! Gotta love preganancy...

Anonymous said...

Ok, I just teared up reading that entry!!!